Do you live in Ontario and need a criminal record check for employment? If you live in a community policed by the OPP, then you’ll be able to get yours online starting June 13. You’ll be able to use the OPP’s website to request:

  • A criminal record check (CRC)
  • A criminal record and judicial matters check (CRJMC)
  • A vulnerable sector check (VSC)
  • And an OPP non-parent custody check (LE213)

You can pay for your background check on the website and then get the document through a secure link.

Moving Criminal Record Checks in Ontario Online

Between the pandemic and the gradual reopening of the province, the OPP got many requests for criminal record checks. They temporarily moved the process back to local detachments while they developed a more streamlined online model. Deputy Commissioner Chris Harkins said the OPP completes an average of 140,000 background checks a year.

Now the process will be completely online.

“Moving police record checks online allows the OPP to efficiently and effectively meet the needs of the communities we serve,” Harkins said in a statement.

Why Do I Need a Criminal Record Check for Employment in Ontario?

Organizations and institutions across Canada request criminal record checks as part of the application process. In Toronto, for example, over 60 per cent of employers say they require criminal record checks for all employees. Not all criminal convictions will disqualify you for a job, but certain organizations need to look out for red flags.

It is legal for organizations to request a criminal record check, and an employer can refuse to hire someone because they have a criminal record, except for provincial offences and pardons accord to Ontario human rights law.

What Information Is Included in a Criminal Record Check in Ontario?

The Police Record Checks Reform Act authorizes employers to do three different types of criminal record checks in Ontario:

1.  Criminal Record Check (CRC)

A CRC includes criminal convictions from the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) and local police services databases, as well as findings of guilt under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) within the applicable disclosure period.

2.  Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)

Like a CRC, a CRJMC will have information from CPIC, local police databases, and the YCJA. It will also include charges, warrants, judicial orders, probation, and prohibition orders, as well as absolute and conditional discharges for one or three years, respectively.

3.  Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)

Employers working in finance, human resources, or other sectors not involving youth or vulnerable adults will often request a CRC or CRJMC. But if the job puts you in a position of authority over youth or vulnerable persons then you need a VSC.

The employer will need to give you a letter explaining why they need a VSC with their contact information. And you’ll need to give a detailed description of the job to the OPP.

A VSC includes convictions, outstanding warrants, charges, judicial orders, and sexual offence convictions where the individual has received a record suspension.

If you want to learn more about a VSC and other criminal record checks in Ontario, you can visit the OPP website and the RCMP website.